Try the Tabbouleh!
Did you know that Tabbouleh is a special delicacy of the sham countries? It is a salad made of bulgur wheat, tomato, cucumber, and parsley. In 2009, the largest dish of tabbouleh to date weighed 4,324 kg (9,532 lb 12 oz) was recorded. Previously, Lebanon was one of the Guinness World Record holders for the largest tabbouleh (October 2009).
Here are the steps to prepare a Tabbouleh by Mahalo cooking:
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
The main ingredient of tabouli is bulgur, a whole grain which has been processed slightly to make it quick to cook. To make tabouli, the bulgur is soaked and drained, then mixed with dressing, herbs, and vegetables.
- 1 cup dry bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber peeled and seeded
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups fresh parley
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Stir together the bulgar and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to sit for about 15 minutes.
- While the bulgar is soaking, chop the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, parsley and mint.
- Drain the bulgar and stir in the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, parsley and mint.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture, tossing well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about one hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use green onions in place of the red onion if desired.
- Add in one teaspoon of cumin for a robust flavor.
- Add in a few cloves of minced garlic for additional flavor.
- Serve over lettuce as a side dish alongside chicken.
- Add 2 tomatoes, diced, and 4 green onions chopped.
- Soak the bulgur in tomato juice instead of water, for additional flavor.
- Add 1 cucumber chopped.
- Serve topped with grilled shrimp or chicken