My friends kept reminding me to be aware of my surroundings whenever I travel around Ho Chi Minh as snatch thieves are everywhere. I took note of their advices and ensured that my belongings were never left unattended. Unlike most female travellers, I don’t carry a handbag. Instead, I had my bag pack with me. Travelling with a back pack is much easier and safer compared to handbags (well, that’s what I have always believed in anyway)
Here are some travel tips to prevent yourself from becoming a bag snatching victim:
- Never display your cash when unnecessary. The more money you have, the more attention you’ll get.
- If you are wearing a handbag, cross it over your chest. Most of my females friends do this whenever they travel.
- Don’t walk too close to the street. Always walk on the footpath. However, there are certain areas in Ho Chi Minh that has no footpath; these are the areas that you should pay more attention on.
- Never leave your bag unattended. I always have my bag placed on my lap instead of the chair next to me. If you need to go somewhere, take your bag with you, even if it’s just for a short while.
- Always trust your instinct. The time I ignored my instinct was the day I got myself robed. Some things are avoidable if you really make use of your instinct.
Have other tips to share? Feel free to comment! Cheers. Stay safe.